New Patient FormPhysiotherapy helps people who are affected by injury, illness, over-use, or age-related changes through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education, and advice. Physiotherapists may act as primary care providers (meaning you can access physiotherapy without a doctor’s referral) and are a vital part of the multi-disciplinary team at Evolve Chiropractic and Wellness. Our Downtown Calgary Physiotherapists – Valerie Lowe, Jakkie Yurchevic, Erica Holmes and Marc Pesant are pleased to offer their services and look forward to helping you reach your health goals.
So What Is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapists are highly trained medical professionals who specialize in restoring movement and physical function of their clients, through various manual therapies, mechanical/electrical devices, and therapeutic exercise. A significant part of a physiotherapist’s job involves educating their patients in order to prevent further injury and properly perform home exercises.
Physiotherapists are the experts in the examination and treatment of musculoskeletal, neuromuscular and cardiothoracic problems that affect peoples’ abilities to function meaningfully – whether you want to run a marathon or just be able to pick up your grandchildren!
Some conditions commonly treated by physiotherapists include:
- Acute and chronic neck and back pain, sciatica, and disc injuries
- Joint pain & body aches
- Soft tissue injuries, including muscle strains/tears and tendon/ligament sprains, bursitis and tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, shin splints
- Headaches & migraines
- Sports injuries
- Pre and post-operative orthopedic conditions
- Repetitive stress injuries such as tennis elbow and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident
- Nerve impingement resulting in tingling, weakness and numbness in the arm(s) or leg(s)
- Arthritic conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis
- Degenerative conditions including degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis
- Post-operative rehabilitation including arthroscopic knee/shoulder/hip/ankle surgeries, and total joint replacement.
What To Expect At Your First Physiotherapy Appointment
All initial appointments begin with an assessment of your condition. This involves a review of your medical history as well as a neuromusculoskeletal physical examination. By discussing with your medical history (along with the examination), we are able to verify your symptoms and better evaluate your condition in order to develop an effective treatment plan.
The goals of the assessment are to:
- Find the source of your pain/complaint, and determine the structures that are contributory.
- Produce a working diagnosis which will guide your plan of care.
- Develop a comprehensive treatment plan based on the findings of the assessment and tailor it to your individual goals and expectations.
It is best to wear loose, comfortable clothing, such as shorts and a tank top, for your initial assessment as these allow for freedom of movement and allow the therapist to accurately identify faulty mechanics.
What To Expect During A Physiotherapy Treatment
Recovery from accidents or surgery can require very restrained forms of treatment to ensure further damage is not caused; physiotherapy often relies on patience while waiting for muscles and bones to recover over a period of time. Physiotherapists use a combination of interventions to promote healing and ease pain. Electrotherapeutic agents such as ultrasound, TENS, Interferential, and NMES use sound waves or electrical current to reduce pain and muscle spasm, promote blood flow, and speed up the recovery process. Heat and cold are applied to decrease swelling and alleviate pain and restore mobility to tissues.
Manual Therapy techniques are at the core of our “hands-on” approach and can include spinal and peripheral joint mobilization or manipulation. As well, manual therapy may include massage, stretching, mobilization or manipulation of soft-tissue including muscle, tendon, ligament and fascia. No physiotherapy treatment is complete without a personalized exercise program, designed to restore strength, endurance, and flexibility of your tissues.
At Evolve Chiropractic & Wellness, we work hard to help our patients stay informed about their particular condition and treatment options. Our commitment to patient education is often the key element to each patient’s success at therapy.
The entire team at Evolve Chiropractic & Wellness are looking forward to providing you with the highest caliber of care in Calgary’s Downtown Core.
Call us at (403) 474-7792 to book your Physiotherapy Appointment today!